Thursday, March 19, 2009

Family Portrait

Our church is doing a "sermon series" on Family Portrait.  I'm kinda funny with emotions.  Sometimes I internalize them and think on them and try to figure out why I feel the way I do and sometimes I externalize them and wear them on my sleeve and everyone knows how I feel. 

Today was an "external" day.  If you have been reading my blog, you know Emily's been sick.  It is truly heartbreaking to watch her be this way.  This is her third stomach flu since birth and it has never kicked her bottom like this one has.  Her schedule is way jacked up---sleeping all day and up all night---which means we aren't sleeping either.  I am super fragile. Emotional. I cried all the way to work on the phone with my mom.  I had to take a day off on Wednesday, I couldn't take another day today.  I got to work and my co-workers were basically pushing me out the door, BUT I have a HUGE night that I am planning for about 2,000 people next Wednesday---that's 4 working days away.  It's days like this that I am reminded so greatly that I don't stay home with my child.  We have to look for someone to watch her and my sources are extremely limited.  

My dad has pretty much taken care of her every time we have been in a jam.  Emily is SO blessed to have her as a Grandpa---and I am so grateful he is my dad.    I came home a couple hours early and he asked if I wanted a nap.  I tried to sleep before he had to leave, but I couldn't sleep too great because I could hear them interacting.  I eventually left my bed and snuck a peek on their play time.  He was on the floor trying to get her to play with toys and he was successful.  She copied what he was doing--a VAST improvement from yesterday.  She didn't touch a single toy.  I know she had a great day with her grandpa because she cried when he was leaving.  She got attached today.  As Brian said, "She knew he took care of her today and that means so much to her when she is sick."  It means a lot to me too!  

Dad---thank you for your selflessness and love for your family and mine.  I would have been a total mess without you today.  I love you! 

7 comments:

VikingMom said...

That's so cool that you have your parents around to help you--its definitely a blessing! Sorry to hear you had such a rough day.

Lyn said...

What a sweet blog. I know your dad was happy to help you out today. I'm so glad Emily is starting to perk up a bit. Hope she's much better tomorrow.

Love,
Mom

Kristi said...

Oh...I have a tear in my eye. I love picturing dad with Emily...so sweet. And glad she is doing better!!!

Don said...

It was worth every minute to see her finally perk up and actually enjoy playing a little. I hope she sleeps well tonight. I have a feeling she will...even with all the sleep during the day.

Thanks for your sweet blog, Jennifer. I'm only glad I have the opportunity to be there for both of you! I love you!

Anonymous said...

OOhhh,,, I so wish we were there and could help. Am I jealous ? ,,,Well,,,,Yaaahhh !!! Seriously, I am so happy that at least your dad is there and can help. He is a saint. God bless him ,,,, and Emily ,,, and You ,,, and Brian. Darn it ,,, now I am getting teary. Take care girl. Luv Ya

Diane Davis said...

beautiful tribute.

discomommy said...

You do have amazing parents! I hope Emily is doing better this week!