Thursday, October 30, 2008

deep thoughts with Jennifer

so...you know how you always get those forward type of emails telling you that you shouldn't get mad at people in the car in front of you because you don't know what kind of day they have had....or you should be patient with someone who is mean to you because you don't know what is going on in their life that is making them react that way?  Well, about 2 years ago I met with a mom of one of my students and she was HORRIBLE to me.  Unfortunately, it is not rare that I have these kinds of encounters.  I have a lot of parents that want a lot of things for their kids and if I can't do it for them----there is a problem with me---it has to be me....it can't be them---anyway, I have had to meet with her A LOT over the past two years.  Every time I find myself preparing for the worst, praying for the right words to say so that I don't get chewed out.  Today, we met for 45 minutes.  I always knew that her daughter had a disability, but I didn't know how bad it really is.  I won't go into all the detail here, but I guess it is true....you just never know how bad it can be for someone else.  It doesn't mean that we should be mean when we're going through something rough, but it was a good lesson for me today....I saw a very strong, proud woman completely vulnerable and it moved me. 

No comments: