Tuesday, February 9, 2010

More than a bassinet

When I was pregnant with Emily, our friends loaned us their bassinet. We didn't realize how much we would love the idea of a bassinet until we used it. Emily slept in our room for the first couple of months until she was sleeping longer stretches then we moved her to her crib in her room.

Our friends that loaned us the bassinet with Emily were/are pregnant at the same time I was pregnant with Kinley so we knew we couldn't borrow the bassinet. When Brian's dad heard we needed a bassinet he called to let us know that he had held onto Brian's bassinet. We had no idea. Brian's dad and grandfather built this bassinet in anticipation for Brian's arrival. It's very sentimental for me to know that my youngest daughter sleeps where her dad once slept. There are no words.

Brian's dad kept the bassinet in good condition, but decided to spruce it up a bit and paint it for us and even hand delivered it to us all the way from Oregon.

This bassinet sat empty in our room for a couple of months. It's right next to my side of the bed. I can't tell you how many times I stared at this empty bassinet wondering what it was like for Brian's parents to watch him sleeping. I wondered what their prayers were for him. I wondered if they sat and watched his facial expressions while he slept. I wondered if they dreamed for him while he rested. I wondered so many things.

I knew that someday soon I would be looking into the bassinet at my daughter. I knew that all I would want to do is stare. I knew I would be overcome with emotion. I just didn't realize that I wasn't the only one....

You see, it's more than a bassinet. It's love.

11 comments:

Becky said...

Wow, Jenn, that made me cry. So special!

Unknown said...

So sweet Jennifer!

Linda said...

That is so beautiful! Love it! AND the bassinet looks BRAND SPANKING NEW, TOO!

Rostamizadeh Family said...

Beautifully said. I know that Dad put so much love into every little piece of that bassinet! So glad that you have the opportunity to use it with your little one.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

WOW,,, very nicely said. We did put a lot of work into that cradle for Brian. There is something about seeing your baby resting peacefully in the cradle that you prepared for him. It is really special for me that Kinley is also able to use the same cradle that her Dad slept in. I do have quite a few hours in refinishing it, but it is all worth it to see her sleeping there peacefully. That is a great picture of her AND the little MOM watching over her little sis.

Thanks, Luv YOU

Grandpa Jerry

Joyson said...

So sweet! My father-in-law restored MY baby bassinet. It was in poor condition having slept me, my 2 brothers, my 3 younger cousins, and countless foster babies.

I love how you put it....It is more than just an item, it's something special that I hope we can pass down for generations!

Kristi said...

I am totally crying. This is the sweetest blog I've ever read.

Missarrie said...

Weeping.......thank you for the comments

FRANSZTASTIC said...

jen, i know what you should do part time...write!

Tabatha said...

Beautiful!