Sunday, September 7, 2008

Emily's big day

About 6 years ago, Brian and I were talking about getting married.  Obviously, one of the major conversations that couples have is "when would you like to start a family?"  My answer.....Never.  I had absolutely NO intention of having any children.  Brian was okay with that and we got married----no kids in our future.  

About 2 years ago, I was sitting in a "family day" church service at our church and was overwhelmed with emotion.  About 3 months prior to that service, I felt a nudging in my heart to start a family---I squashed it as much as possible, but during this service, I couldn't squash the desire anymore.  I had to talk to Brian about it, but how?  How was he going to react, he was indifferent about kids in the first place, will I be able to convince him to be a dad?  Long story short---God was working on his heart at the same time.  

Today was "family day" again.  Of course, I was overwhelmed with emotion----thankfully there were no obvious tears, but I had to talk myself out of them about 3 times during the service.  I don't know if I am ever going to completely understand the kind of love and forgiveness that God has for me, but after having Emily, I can say that I somewhat comprehend the love between a father and his children---or, if you will, a mother and her child.  I love Emily so much, it literally turns my stomach.  

Bruce challenged us, as parents, to raise our children in a Christ centered home and to support our kids if God chooses them to be used in a special way. (Talking myself out of an obvious tear, I vowed to do so.)  

Anyway, here are some pictures from this morning's dedication....



I know this isn't a great picture, but it was taken and I didn't know it.  She completes me....

17 comments:

Bachelor Paul said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Don said...

Well, this blog sure brought a tear to MY eye! Sweet thoughts from a sweet daughter. It was really a special day!. Love you!

Lyn said...

That was very touching. You are beautiful parents to a beautiful daughter. So glad we could share this day with you. Much love, Mom

Brazenlilly said...

I love that you shared this, Jen. I agree that after having a child, I realized that I finally was getting a grasp on this unconditional love thing I'd heard about all my life. And I know precisely what you are talking about when you say you experience a love so intense it hurts your stomach. What a blessing that God changed your heart 3 years ago, and what a beautiful blessing you have to show for it. Congrats on familyd day!

Heidi said...

Beautiful... Absolutely beautiful. And I LOVE the picture of you holding Emily up in the air. It's perfect!

Diane Davis said...

it looks like a really beautiful day!

Missarrie said...

Oh the blessings we receive when we yield to God’s direction for our lives. While you and Brian were planning your future God had other ideas. This probably was not the first “Y” in your road of life and will not be the last.

Bruce has given you a challenge; to raise your child in a Christ centered home and to support her if God Chooses her to be used in a special way. My goal will be to be supportive (especially in prayer) of you and Brian as you raise Emily in your Christ centered home.

I too remember the day we dedicated Brian; I can say that I was not able to maintain my composure as well as you. I know it was the army of dedicated people, who prayed daily for each child dedicated, that had such an effect on the outcome of so many devoted, committed, and Spirit filled young people. I praise the Lord for the extended church family that helped our children grow in Christ.

Thank you for sharing; God bless you, Brian and Emily.

Holly and Cory said...

I'm kinda bummed because Cory and I were totally going to come to your church on yesterday and I had a bad night so I decided to sleep in instead. I wish I had gone! I know that you were so worried before having Emily because you didn't want children. However, I am so happy that God changed your heart and mind because I think that you are a wonderful mother, not to mention giving me the cutest niece!

Kristi said...

It was such a beautiful day! I loved seeing your little family up there. You are right Jen, she does complete you. You are a different person now. I've never seen you so compassionate, so patient, and so loving. You are such a great mother! I'm so proud to be your sister...and Emily's Aunt. I love you...

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful account of your baby dedication. We got to dedicate Abby a few months ago, and that will stay in my memory forever. I loved hearing your story, and am amazed more and more (as a mature in my, err, mom-hood) how much God just prepares people to parent. Emily is one blessed little lady (and stinkin' cute to boot!)

FRANSZTASTIC said...

Congratulations on getting Emily dedicated! How wonderful! I remember talking to you Jen after this "family day"! God is so good! And both of you are awesome parents & such a loving family! Love, Jessica

Linda said...

May God continue to bless your family. What a beautiful gift the Lord has given you. I am so happy that Lord worked in both of your hearts to become parents. I know my hubby and I look at Charlotte and think, wow what a huge and wonderful responsibilty we've been entrusted to. Oh did I mention... Emily is too cute!

Lyonslove said...

I will never forget when I called you to tell you that I was pregnant with Tanner. I remember hanging up with you and knowing that you too would one day be a mom! I am so glad that you have Emily. Tanner will see her tomorrow at Linda's.

Dawn Coleman said...

Thanks for sharing that story! And happy dedication Day Emily!

The Marshall Fam said...

I remember when you decided you wanted to have a baby--I wanted one, too! I feel like it was such a special gift that we were (and still are) able to share such an amazing part of our lives together!

Stacey said...

Want a beautiful post Jen! God certainly knew what he was doing when he gave us babies...so helpless and in need of parents to hold, feed, love...I know that I never knew I could love a person so much. Then you worry that you won't have enough love to give to another kid...and God just multiplies the love (like the loaves & fish) Thanks for sharing!