Sunday, September 21, 2008

Miss Independent

Okay, so I promise not to compare everything that Emily does with me or Brian to my relationship with Christ----not that it's something to write a disclaimer about, but I don't want you to think my posts will always be about the same kind of thing....but this happened just about 10 minutes ago and it resonated with me...so I thought I would share. 

Emily is becoming more independent every day.  Sometimes I am grateful because I don't have to be providing EVERYTHING, but then I get sad because she is slowly growing up and soon enough she won't need me for EVERYTHING.  It's a catch 22 really....Anyway...

She was just crawling on the couch and was about to fall off.  Brian reached out to grab her to so that she wouldn't fall.  She puts both hands on his arms and tried to push him off.  He looked at her and said, "Honey, I have to protect you."  

I don't know....sometimes I feel like maybe that is what I do with God...I play right along the edge and when I am about to fall, he grabs me to protect me....and I try to push him away.   

3 comments:

Missarrie said...

I find it very enlightening to hear others share their personal “object (life) lessons”. I am certain that Emily will give us many more “life lessons”; speaking for myself I hope you continue to share them with us. It gave me pause to ponder how I “walk on the edge” and “push God away” and He patiently waits while I try to do it on my own; while I try to take control; and I struggle to make it on my own; He is there to catch me when I fall. He holds me close and tells me I am His child; He has a good plan for me; and He knows what is best; I need to embrace His guidance and surrender my strong will over to Him; and abide in His love and guidance. Thank you for sharing.

Stephanie said...

No disclaimer needed Jen..that was a great analogy. I can relate. I remember watching my friend holding her little girl in the shallow end of their pool, and her little girl was crying and afraid. I was thinking about how if that little girl only knew how safe she was..that there was NO way her mom was going to let go or let anything happen to her. And, I then I thought about God, and how he must smile sometimes when I'm afraid. Even in deep water, God is holding onto me,it's nothing to him, and there is no way he's going to let go of me. If only I really understood that..I think my life would look a lot different.

Stacey said...

Guess what Jen...she'll always need you...the needs just change. Enjoy every season!!!