Wednesday, October 1, 2008

this is what it has come to...

I was recently talking to my friend Megan about how my life has become a little bit chaotic....running from one thing to the next.  I have decided that somethings like hanging out with Emily are more important than things like cleaning the house.  Now, don't get me wrong, I am a clean freak....I do NOT rest easy with my house looking like this, but you know, there are times when you just need to not think about it. 

Here's Emily playing with some toys.  Most of the blocks were thrown around the room in the matter of 5 minutes.  She literally opens the basket and starts chucking things around the room---not even playing---just throwing.  

Isn't our dining room beautiful?  Oh wait, you can't see it behind the bags that go with me to work everyday.  In the mornings, Brian will lovingly say, "wave goodbye to your mom, the bag lady."  Yeah, it's that bad.  The good news is...I'm carrying one less bag this week!  So, when you work full-time and still nurse----your house might just look a little bit like this.  Umm....my kid is happy and knows that she is SO loved....so I guess I just have to say....Oh well.  Oh...and please don't think that if we invite you over our house will look like this.  I still have pride!  




10 comments:

Brazenlilly said...

Oh Jen. We know. We know. We moms are nodding in understanding of temporary defeat. Yes, it is temporary. You will find a moment, usually on a weekend, when you have a burst of energy to clean it up, but until then? You are right: BEING with her is more important than cleaning for her.

VikingMom said...

Yep, someday we will all return to the pristine kid free status that we once had and long for the days of the messy floor. Or, we will turn into cranky old women who can't handle children who make messes and snap when they drop a crumb on the table. I hope I fall into the former group!

Heidi said...

I understand the dilema. But ya know - it goes so fast... I can honestly say that I remember in great detail snuggling with both kids when they were babies. I remember what they smelled like, what they felt like, what they looked like.

I don't have any memories of what the house looked like at the time, but I'll have the memories of snuggling with my babies forever.

They're worth a lot more than a clean house. :) And just like Jen said - you will find little moments of time (and energy) when you can clean to your heart's content!!

And when those moments strike, I'd really like to you to come to my house.

Stacey said...

Good for you Jen!!! Enjoy your sweet girl. She'll remember the special times you shared together not how clean your house was. :)

Linda said...

How did you get in my house and take these pictures??? Tell me!
Bag ladies everywhere UNITE!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear about Emily's little habit. I'm actually a bit envious that she will entertain herself with throwing her toys. My girl's attached to my hip right now...I can't clean or cook at all right now. Wait, I didn't do any of that before my daughter was born, but now I want to...so its a real pain :-)

Sarah B. said...

My children are 8 and 6 and I still allow them to throw their toys around..everywhere. You can hardly see the floor to their room. Someone will ask "why do you allow them to mess up their room like that?" Because I simply don't care. They enjoy their room.....and that is my final answer. I simply don't care, neat bedrooms are not a priority.

Lyonslove said...

I love your honesty. I am not strong enough to take a picture of my house like that, even though it looks like that every day while Tan is awake. Also way to go B-feeding Emily for so long while working full time! You are a super mom.
I love your D-land pictures. Nice hair EM. Tanner and Kipp are having a guys day tomorrow at Disney.

FRANSZTASTIC said...

one of my mom's biggest regrets from raising us 4 kids is that she spent too much time making sure the house was clean, and not enough time just playing with us, taking us to the park, etc. she has challenged me NOT to make this same mistake...i still LOVE things picked up, but, i am learning and loving to just plop down on the floor with ella & PLAY, mess & all!

discomommy said...

When the kids were younger and my house looked like that every day, Jon would come home and say "Looks like you guys had fun today!" He knew that my priority was to spend time with my kids, quality time. And cleaning all day didn't factor into that equation.

I still pack and unpack bags all day long. It gets tiring. You think it's bad now, wait until she starts sports/dance and you have another few kids in the mix. Woozers!