Tuesday, May 26, 2009

My first camping adventure

I had a very different childhood than Brian---not that my childhood was a bad one---it just wasn't spent on family bike rides, camping or skiing.  We weren't all that outdoorsy but we had fun anyway.  So, once Emily came into our little family---it was clear that my indoorsy childhood was not gonna cut it with Brian as her dad.  Lucky for Brian, our dear friends Joe and Alisha invited us to join them for camping over Memorial Day weekend. 

Although I have seen movies and tv shows with camping in a scene---I was SO unprepared.  Did you know that when you go camping, you stay outside all day?  Who knew??  Holy cow---I am so glad I grabbed a sweatshirt (by chance I would need it).  I practically lived in the thing.  I only took one pair of long pants----can anyone say NEWBIE????  Brian, the expert, offered NO advice.  

We totally FROZE the first night because we are idiots and didn't turn on the heater.  I shivered ALL NIGHT LONG people!  Thankfully, we thought about it the next night and we slept MUCH better and Emily even slept until 8:00 AM....that hasn't ever happened...

I have so many stories, but I am sure it would bore most of you especially since I have so many pictures---so enjoy!

Emily playing with her "blocks" on the only piece of carpet in the RV
Emily in her camping chair
This is the "pool table" that Emily occupied most of her time during the day.  Please notice Oliver in the background running toward all of the big kids---Emily was perfectly fine playing with the table all by herself.  (She HATED the little pool we had for the kiddos)
Snack time on the kid's picnic table---these kids ate ALL DAY LONG
Oliver shaking his booty and Emily checking it out---if they get married, this is so gonna be in their slideshow
The gang---right outside of our camping spot
Happy Memorial Day!
Emily kept giving Oliver hug after hug, but we didn't get one single great picture...this will have to do. 
The morning routine----Bananas first while Brian made pumpkin pancakes for everyone.  

7 comments:

Kristi said...

These are the most awesome pictures ever! I'm so glad you had a good time. It looks like Emily and Oliver are quite something together! :o)

I kinda want to go camping too now....

Although according to Billy Baker....camping for me would be a 3 star hotel instead of a 5 star. Yeah, I said it...

Sigh.

He's probably right. :)

Linda said...

okay first off...Emily sitting in her camping chair has got to be the cutest thing ever! The trip sounds like so much fun. That's it...I'm planning a camping trip.

Holly and Cory said...

I glad you had fun. Will you try it again? I miss camping.

Missarrie said...

I would love to hear more stories; but thanks for sending pictures. Emily probably slept in because she spend so much time outside, it is amazing what the great outdoors will do. Sorry that you froze the first night; I will share our "Diamond Lake" experiences with you some time; yes there was more then one. I have the same question as Holly, are you going again?

Heidi said...

Awesome pics Jen. Glad you enjoyed your first camping experience! : )

The Marshall Fam said...

Looks like fun! I can't believe how big Emily is getting--her hair is so long!

Brazenlilly said...

I'm so proud of you I won't even tease you for camping in an RV with heat. And cell phone service. Although I'm a little disturbed that your camping hubby let you pack only ONE SWEATSHIRT?! Seriously, I'm telling you. Next time? I'm sending you my pre-typed packing list. Preparation=good times. Way to go!