Friday, February 15, 2008

It's official, I am a germaphobe...

So, I work in a high school guidance office as an Academic Advisor.  The guidance office is inside the main office, which also houses the health office.  So, any student who wants to go home because he/she is sick, comes into the main office---all people touch the same door to get into my office.  This idea never grossed me out until Emily was born.  I use the restroom across the hall from the main office so, I wash my hands, grab a paper towel and walk toward my office.  (yes, with the paper towel still in my hand.) If I am in the hallway and I see someone approaching the door, my walking pace all of a sudden gains speed knowing that if I can just catch up to them, I won't have to touch the knob!  This is getting pathetic...when I beat someone to the door *sigh* I have to open it up for them and of course they see the crazy lady with the paper towel in hand opening the door!  Once I get to my office, I then put purell on my hands---keeping in mind I JUST WASHED THEM when I was in the restroom.  My hands are like sand paper---so if any of you have any wood projects coming up, don't bother wasting money on sand paper---just call me up!  Although, I will ask that I am fed.  I have gone through so much soap and so much lotion, because let's face it, who wants sand paper for hands!  They are turning raw!  

What led me to this entry??  Well, I have a 4-day weekend, so I am home with my little cutie pie Emily.  I was doing the laundry this morning.  Was it because I had laundry piling up? Not really.  Was it because I needed to wear something that was dirty?  Nope.  Why then Jennifer, the suspense is killing me, you ask.  Because I took Emily to the doctor yesterday and I was worried that the chair that I sat on may have had some yucky germs, so I needed to wash my entire outfit before I contaminated the house! 

P.S.  Emily was fine, I just had to take her for a follow-up visit since she was so sick a couple of weeks ago.  She lost .5 lb and the doctor was a tiny bit concerned.  So, she passed---she is 11.4 lbs, which means she gained almost 1 lb. in 2 weeks.  (She was 10.5 at our previous visit.)  I did ask her about her strange sleeping pattern that recently started---he asked if she was drooling, I said yes, he asked if her hands are often in her mouth, I said yes, almost always---he said sounds like it could be related to teething.  Curiosity got the best of me, I checked her mouth this morning---looks like I see a little white cap on its way up!  I'll let you know when it is noticeable!  

Well, gotta go wash my hands! 

3 comments:

Becky said...

I have NO problem with the paper towel thing. I have seen people not even wash up after using the facilities. So, yeah. I'd ewear surgical gloves to avoid touching that thing.
But "wood project" - that's just hilarious.
:)

Mimee said...

I have a couple of suggestions as my hands are in sanitizer water (bleach water) and washing them constantly when I am at the shop. I have purchased for the staff a hand lotion product that you can get at Costco (Alyse told me you have a membership). I believe it is spelled “Cetaphil”.
It is a great lotion. I also purchased a foaming hand sanitizer from Costco last week that has no alcohol in it; works great, smells good, and keeps you from getting so dried out. It is always good to follow your daily entries.

Did Emily receiver her Valentine package?

Mimee

Judi said...

Hi Jennifer (and Brian, too!) I love catching up with you guys by reading your blog...it's the next best thing since i can't visit! And, I really enjoy the pictures of all of you...such fun.

I've been using your Mom's Mary Kay hand system on my hands, esp when they get rough (I like to save it for emergency hand problems so I don't run out). It works wonders!

Hugs, Aunt Judi