Thursday, January 1, 2009

Acapulco

Our first stop was in Acapulco on Christmas day.  I gotta say, it was not my favorite stop.  Since Emily is so young, we didn't sign up for any excursions because there was an age limit for most of them---at least everything we were interested in.  So, we just spent the afternoon walking around.  We were "harassed" by so many people that were trying to sell us their crafts or services.  It was CRAZY.  I couldn't believe how many people just walked up to Emily and touched her and some even PICKED her up---it made my stomach turn. 

We're standing in front of the beach--our camera was died right after this shot, so there was no chance to re-do--anyway, you can't really see the locals in the background, but NONE of them were wearing bathing suits.  They were dressed in shorts/shirts and swimming in them.  The water was FILTHY and their clothes were covered in dirt.  It was truly so sad.  
Brian and Emily pictured in one of the back streets that our "tour guide" took us to get back to the boat.  (He is the one in the background all in white).  He pretty much just started following us around the city and made himself our tour guide, we didn't ask for his help, he pretty much just demanded it.  
Emily was intrigued by this little boy.  He was so sweet to her and of course they didn't speak the same language, but they just waved back and forth so many times.  He broke my heart.  He was wearing a girls shirt that was obviously way too small.  His "shorts" was actually a shirt too.  
Emily in the cruise stop right off the boat in Acapulco--she was NOT a fan of the bird.  She is her mother's daughter
I think visiting Acapulco on Christmas day was a really important lesson for me.  We didn't do gifts for Brian's side of the family because we're all struggling financially right now, but after seeing so many families literally covered in dirt on the sidewalk selling gum made me realize how incredibly RICH we are.  

2 comments:

Don said...

All these pictures are so good...like you say, many lessons to be learned from a trip like that. The little boy with shirt-shorts is so cute. Makes me want to adopt him.

Anonymous said...

The only way I am able to look at these pictures of you in Mexico and not hate your guts, is that I got to go home for Christmas and enjoy some sunshine. If I'd had to have stayed here in WA, I would have to stop blog talking to you ;-)