Friday, February 6, 2009

Little reminders

I have always wanted a little sister or brother.  I am not sure why.  Maybe it is because I didn't want to be the only one bullied by an older sibling.  (example: I was probably 5 years old when my sister and I heard a siren, Kristi starts screaming, "THEY'RE COMING FOR YOU!! PACK A SUITCASE!!" So, I quickly packed a bag and promptly slid underneath the bed to hide from the police.)

In college, I became very close to an "underclassman" named Courtney.  She and I were both part of a singing group that went out recruiting more people to the university.  It didn't take very much time for her to start calling me "big sis."  Although she had no idea, she paid me one of the greatest compliments.  Courtney LOVED rainbows.  It was about that time that the rainbow symbol became the major "label" for a gay person.  Rainbow stickers were EVERYWHERE.  She would always see one and say something about God's promise for his people.  She was very conscious to remind us of God's promises, grace and mercy.  She designed and got an adorable tattoo of a rainbow with a cross peaking out behind it.  

December 22, 2001 was one of the darkest days of my life.  I got a call that Courtney was killed in a car accident.  I didn't just lose a friend, I lost my little sister.  About a week later, we were in Oregon for her funeral.  It was pouring rain....why wouldn't it be?  It was Oregon after all :) As soon as the service was complete, we heard a male voice hurrying us all to come outside.  We stepped outside and saw the most magnificent rainbow that I have EVER seen.  It went directly from one side of the church to the other.  It was so bright, so clear that there was another rainbow in reflection of the main one.  

Today, I looked out my window at work and saw a beautiful rainbow.  God is so faithful.  I'm thankful for Courtney's passion about rainbows because I couldn't help but smile and thank God for what he has done for me.  

Pardon the poor quality of the picture.  I took it with my camera phone because my camera was at home for the first time in I don't know how long!  Look closely, you'll see two rainbows.  Also, please note that it is the STUDENT lot that I am standing in.  Sheesh!  Expensive cars!!

5 comments:

VikingMom said...

What a great reminder...thanks Jen.

Taylor's said...

She was such a sweet friend. I still have the rainbow scarf she crocheted for me. And every time I see a rainbow (real, sticker, or tattoo) I think of our dear friend and her reminders of the promise the rainbow stands for.

Kristi said...

first of all...thanks for selling me out.

secondly... i too am thankful for those reminders... god is good. even when we don't understand his ways... he's still good.

Don said...

Well, sorry about the little brother/sister deal. That would have been nice, but your mom's legs probably would have wound up in the Smithsonian!

But I'm glad you found Courtney. She was a special person, indeed. I'm so sorry you and Kristi both lost your closest friends in the same kinds of tragedies. Although we don't have answers for that, we do have the rainbow reminders.

Brazenlilly said...

I just saw a huge rainbow the other day and thought of Courtney as well! I had the haunting privilege of saying goodbye to Courtney in the ICU the night she died, and I'll always be grateful for those short moments. I love that for a large group of us, she really has brought back the true and original meaning of the rainbow!