Sunday, March 16, 2008

It may not come as a surprise

but I can be pretty emotional at times.  I used to think of it as a bad thing---I guess I still don't love to cry in front of others--it can be embarrassing, but I seem to cry most often in the midst of worship.  Last week while I was sitting in church, we were instructed to be seated.  While the next song began, I couldn't help but notice a lady get up from her seat, stand all alone, with her arms completed extended in the air.  I was sitting by people I didn't know---I am sure they thought that something was wrong with me because I was moved by this woman's actions.  I was fighting the tears back.  She didn't care what anyone else thought about her---it's funny---her actions actually took me to a deeper time of worship.  

I have had a rough week---and I know that I have a couple more rough weeks ahead.  The month of March is always busy for me, but this March----well, it seems like there is way too much more going on for me.  I am STRESSED!  No other word to describe what is going on.  Brian and I both have huge projects due for work on the 31st---we're moving the 29th---Emily isn't sleeping well--which means we aren't sleeping well---which might explain the above statement that I am emotional....

So, this morning, we sang "Blessed be Your Name."  For some reason, I got completely choked up when we got to the chorus---"Every blessing you pour out, I'll turn back to praise.  When the darkness closes in Lord, still I will say---Blessed be the name of the Lord, blessed be Your Name."  Have you ever felt like maybe you take for granted the blessings that God has poured out?  I think it is easier for me to remind him of the things he hasn't done for me than remembering the things he has done---why is that?  I don't know why my eyes were finally opened up to that this morning, but they were!  

The second time I lost it this morning, was during communion.  Matthew 11:28 was up on the screen, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."  Being that I wrote a blog this morning at 5 something complaining about being tired, I couldn't help but feel encouraged at that moment.   I can't explain it---but I know that God wanted to bless me this morning---and because of that---I am grateful.  I hope you can be encouraged too!

8 comments:

Lyn said...

What a blessing your blog was to me just now. Thanks for sharing your heart. I hope you and Brian get some much-needed rest tonight and that Emily does, too! I love you all!--Mom

Alicia said...

I needed that. Thanks!

Kristi said...

Thank you for these encouraging words...and I hope tonight is a restful night for you.

Heidi said...

Nicely said, Jen. Thanks for sharing with us.

The Marshall Fam said...

Just what I needed--you're the best!

Brazenlilly said...

My fave part of that song is when it says "My heart will CHOOSE to say: Lord blessed be your name." We can't choose our circumstances, or our wake-up call, but we choose how to respond, and you're obviously choosing to bless His name, even in the midst of trial! (And sleep deprivation IS a trial.) And for the record, there is NOTHING wrong with being a crier! :)

Diane Davis said...

hey jen... i'm one of your blog lurkers. just wanted to say i've been thinking of you this weekend since i know you guys moved into your new place. i hope it all went smoothly. we want to see pictures when you are recovered! ;)

Unknown said...

So here I am reading your blog at 3:15 am. Can't sleep. I'm glad I stumbled across your blog because I found it very encouraging.