Monday, June 9, 2008

Castor oil

Okay, since my dad sold me out on his blog, I figured that I might as well share one of the funniest moments that I have shared with my dad.

When I was nearing the end of my pregnancy, I started wondering what would help the process move a little more quickly. I had heard about all kinds of interesting things, but the one that just seemed to baffle me and gross me out was the thought of consuming “castor oil.” I couldn’t understand why ANY ONE would want to consume this, it just didn’t make sense. I guess once you drink it, it is supposed to cause you to cramp and the cramping should help start the contractions.

So, November 6th (Emily’s due date) came and went. I was off work at this point and my dad offered to come and hang out with me. So, we decided to drive over to Whole Foods and pick up some Raspberry red leaf tea. I had heard that this was also supposed to help with moving things right along. So, my dad wandered off in the store---like he often does. I found him around the vitamin aisle and I asked him what he was looking for. He told me that he was looking for the castor oil so that he could read about it too. I told him that he wouldn’t find it there. He asked me why not and I said that he would have to find it at an auto shop or something like that. He looked at me with the most confused look on his face and in that moment I knew we weren’t thinking about the same thing. I asked him what castor oil was and then it hit me!!! I thought castor oil was castrol oil! No wonder I thought it was absurd! Oh man, we laughed for a very long time. Good thing I didn’t try the castrol oil---I would have been cramping alright!

4 comments:

Diane Davis said...

What a great story. I'm not laughing AT you at all... this is something I'd totally do. Very funny!

Don said...

It was funny to relive that one-of-a-kind moment! Thanks for sharing so bravely!

Who knows...10-W-30 oil might really be a great inducer. Of course, you might give birth to everything between your neck and your behind!

Alicia said...

Now you've made me laugh out loud! I love this story and I'm so glad you shared it. I tried castor oil. Terrible stuff. Honestly all it did was sit me on the toilet for a few hours. BUT, I didn't grace the nurses with a #2 surprise as so many have done. That was the first thing my sister asked after Hannah was born "Did you poop?" Nice.

christie walker said...

you're pretty....